Columbus Saints at Flex High!
The Columbus Saints Performing Arts have partnered with Flex High to bring our programs back to Franklinton! Flex High is a unique blended high school that allows students to earn a high school diploma through an intense program! Through the partnership with the Saints and Flex High we provide educational and performance opportunities for Flex High students AT NO COST!
The benefits of music and arts education
Music is important to students development and can change outcomes, help with focus and more.
- Kids can learn teamwork: Many musical education programs require teamwork as part of a band or orchestra. In these groups, students will learn how to work together and build camaraderie.
- Kids stay engaged in school: An enjoyable subject like music can keep kids interested and engaged in school. Student musicians are likely to stay in school to achieve in other subjects.
- Better SAT scores: Students who have experience with music performance or appreciation score higher on the SAT. One report indicates 63 points higher on verbal and 44 points higher on math for students in music appreciation courses.
- Students learn to improve their work: Learning music promotes craftsmanship, and students learn to want to create good work instead of mediocre work. This desire can be applied to all subjects of study.
- Learn more from the National Association of Music Education: https://nafme.org/20-important-benefits-of-music-in-our-schools/
A variety of programs for students
The Saints offer two competitive programs, and a series of group lessons and workshops with our experienced staff. This allows Flex Students to learn new instruments, techniques, and more with an opportunity to challenge them on the world stage with the Saints competitive programs.
Drum & Bugle Corps – a competitive marching brass band that creates complex and exciting shows for the college football field! Starting auditions in the fall, the corps draws in young people from all the across the state to create a unique program. The corps tours and competes from mid-June till Labor Day on weekends only including performances at locations like Atlanta, Madison (WI), Chicago and more!
Winter Guard – an indoor competitive dance and flag line that produces emotional performances combining elements of dance, theater, and more. Starting auditions in the fall, the guard pulls in Central Ohio youth ages 12 and up teaching them dance fundamentals, performance basics and more. The guard competes locally and at select regionals in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and more against other ensembles from as far away as the Netherlands, UK and more!
Workshops – starting in late January the Saints will begin providing 90 minute workshops for students who are learning new instruments. The goal of this program is to expose students to new instruments, techniques, and more in a group environment so they can benefit from a more relaxed environment. Students who desire a further challenge are encouraged to seek membership in the drum & bugle corps. Want to join the next session? Google Form Sign-Up https://goo.gl/forms/2OhAtVe9RNsHFwVf2
Dance Classes & More – starting in the spring, the Saints have plans to bring dance classes to Flex High. This will include ballet, African dance, and more! Check back for details!